Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Hazy Shade of Winter, Part II

Fall is quickly coming to an end here in the Finger Lakes region of Central New York, where we have had snow off and on for the past week. Yesterday afternoon, it started getting dark around 3:30 and by around 4:00, snow was falling.




I had to drive into town around 6:00 and it was still snowing then. People northeast of here got a lot more snow than those of us near the lake. By the time I drove home around 9:30, there were just a few flurries left, but a little more snow fell overnight and we woke up to this:






It really isn't deeper than about an inch or so and the roads are completely clear, but we are expecting anywhere between 2 and 6 inches over the next 24 hours.

The creek is really pretty when it gets this cold because there is this kind of frozen mist that rises up and eventually coats the nearby trees in a layer of white frost. I'll post photos of that soon, I am sure.




A house at the bottom of the waterfall:



3 comments:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Pretty pictures.

Mary and Larry Smerk said...

It was 80 degrees today! I miss snow.

Leah said...

80 degrees? Mary, I'm coming to live with you! I walked over to the Cruncher Market for lunch today and thought I'd freeze.