Sunday, April 12, 2009

Waiting for a Girl Like You

My phone rang at 7:00 on Saturday morning. No one calls me that early unless there is an emergency. Well, no one who knows me, that is. It was Lowe's, calling me to apologize for the trouble that they had given me yesterday (after I gave them the online feedback that they requested at the bottom of my receipt). They wanted to know if they could bring my new refrigerator between 9:00 and noon and, of course, I said that they could and thanked them for calling.


Then came the hard part. I had to drag myself out of bed at that ungodly hour of the day. McKenna refused to get up and stayed in bed for another hour, when she smelled bacon cooking. After making a yummy breakfast of strawberry muffins, bacon, and Puerto Rican coffee, I moved things out of the way in preparation for the arrival of the new refrigerator. And then I waited. And waited. And waited. Right at noon, the delivery guys pulled up to the house. The Offensive Beast had spent its last night in my house:
They brought the New Girl in and then began to work on removing the Offensive Beast. I wanted to die when they pulled it away from the wall. The Disgustingtons strike again. Imagine how much dirt is under the average refrigerator and then multiply that by about 100--that's how much crap was under this thing. Besides your basic dust and dirt, there were three pens, a Sharpie, a magnet, part of a phone book, some receipts, and a wadded up extension cord. So, I got to work with the shop vac and cleaned up as much as I could. I was going to just live with the rest of the dirt, but I was just too grossed out, so I told the guys that I wanted to mop quickly and started scrubbing. I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed until my mop head was in shreds and by then it was reasonably clean.


Then, they rolled the New Girl into place:

While the New Girl cooled down, I ran into town to get a new mop head so that I could finish cleaning the floor and to pick up some other things. When I got home, I made myself a Lemon Drop before I started cleaning.


I washed the New Girl inside and out with a Magic Eraser and a mild detergent solution. Isn't she pretty?







By then, things were fairly cool, so I started moving things from the little refrigerator into the New Girl:





I cleaned the kitchen from top to bottom and put the magnets on the New Girl:



The tablecloth is new--Mother of Ken sent it to me this week and it is so pretty.


Finally, life is back to normal in the Ken and McKenna household. After a trip to the grocery store, the New Girl will be full of good food. McKenna has claimed the tiny refrigerator as her own. She plans to keep scraps and bacon grease in there.


Happy Easter to all of my gentle readers. McKenna and I are celebrating our 100th post with Lemon Drops chilled in the New Girl.

1 comment:

Rosie Hawthorne said...

I love your cabin.

And I know exactly what underneath a refrigerator looks like. There's some really nasty stuff down there.