Thursday, July 16, 2009

Life In One Day

I've got some great stuff coming up for you gentle readers, but before I get out the scanner, I thought I'd share some photos of my time in Kansas and a few from my return to New York.

First, the dead frog in Mother and Father of Ken's pool:

I call this series "Hose Beast:"











Boomer really likes to drink water from the hose. McKenna always says that hose water is the best.


He also likes to plop his 70+ pound self in the middle of the kitchen floor:



Piper, smiling for the camera:




Boo, mad that she got some attention:



Because I did a lot of shopping and also have extremely generous relatives who give great birthday gifts, Mother of Ken had to mail four boxes of stuff to me. They arrived today:



My new apple peeler poked out of the box in transit. I hope that no one was harmed:




After spending most of the morning unpacking the boxes and putting everything away, I made a blueberry crisp from a recipe that I got at Penzey's in Kansas City.
Penzey's is a dream come true for people who love food. I had never been to the store before, but I love their products. I bought some double strength vanilla and some Vietnamese Cassia cinnamon, which I used in this recipe.


I began by putting one cup of blueberries in a ramekin:




The ingredients for the topping are oats, flour, brown sugar, lemon juice, salt, cinnamon, and butter:



I mixed all of the topping ingredients together with a fork:



Then topped the blueberries with the mixture:


Here it is just out of the oven:



This was really good, but next time, I think I'll add some flour to the blueberries so that the filling isn't so soupy.
Here's the recipe, courtesy of Penzey's:


(Note: I added oats to mine and also only made a single serving--the whole recipe makes six servings.)


4 c. blueberries
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 c. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rinse the blueberries and then place in a 9 inch square pan or six individual ramekins. In a roomy bowl, combine the lemon juice, flour, brown sugar, butter, salt, and cinnamon. Stir the ingredients together with a fork and sprinkle topping over the blueberries and bake for 25-30 minutes.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I've heard good things about Penzey's, but only recently learned there's one in Rockville. I'd only known to go online.

Leah said...

Ew. That frog looks like the not dearly departed Jeni. Hateful little amphibian.