Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Raspberry Beret -- This one's for you, Dad

A few weeks ago, I wore a raspberry beret. Ha--just kidding! I do not care for berets. Actually, I saw a certain celebrity chef making the following dish on her TV show. I thought it looked like a nice summer dessert and decided that I would try it. Apparently my father saw the same show during his recent brief convalescence and also thought this particular dessert looked good. So, gentle readers, I give you my version of frozen berries with white chocolate ganache...

First, slice some strawberries, spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet, and put them in the freezer.




Later, begin making the ganache by pouring white chocolate chips into a double boiler.



Next, add a few tablespoons of heavy cream.



While the white chocolate chips melted with the heavy cream, I put the frozen strawberries on a plate with some raspberries that I had in my freezer.




Stir the ganache until the chocolate is completely melted.



Finally, pour the ganache over the frozen berries (I think I made too much ganache, but I still put most of it on the berries).



Final verdict: Dad, I wouldn't bother. This wasn't that good. The ganache was...well, the best way that I can describe it is "gummy." I would try it again with regular semisweet chocolate chips, though. I think the gumminess might have to do with the ingredients in the white chocolate...

No comments: