Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Change of Heart, Part III

For part three of the story of the transformation of this house, I present the kitchen and the laundry room.

First, the kitchen. This photo is a view into the kitchen from the living room before I moved in. It not only shows you the dining area in the kitchen (on the left), but it also gives you a taste of just how craptastic the decor really was--you'll see this photo again soon.



Here's what it looks like when you walk into my kitchen now:




And the dining area:





A view of the south side of the kitchen before--note the baskets hanging from the ceiling. Last summer, I took my hammer and crowbar to the nails that were in the beams. I removed 35-50 nails and didn't even get them all.






Here's what things look like now:




The north wall of the kitchen before I moved in (those shadows come from all of the hanging baskets):





Today:




And now onto the laundry room.





The south wall of the laundry room:




A detail of my new organizational tools--one bag holder for small bags and one for large ones as well as a special rack for mops and brooms. I love this kind of thing.




On the other side of the south wall, I have my utility area with my toolboxes and my extension cord hung on the new hook that I got just so that Father of Ken would stop complaining every time he comes here about how tangled it gets.




Pretty curtain hung on the new window:





The shelves on the north wall, newly organized:


My pretty new washing machine that I had to buy when the transmission died in my old one from c. 1980. I just couldn't have this lovely machine in a dingy, disgusting laundry room, so I knew I had to paint it.



I found some old hooks that I think I took out of a closet in one of my Hood College dorm rooms and screwed them to the wall to hang my aprons and my wood gathering coat.



And there you have it--another taste of the amazing transformation that has happened here over the past three years. There's more to come, though, so keep coming back!

No comments: