Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Summer of '69

After a quick visit to Kansas, I flew back to Maryland for one last weekend of summer fun. I'm including some highlights from the weekend here, beginning with Thursday evening's baseball game. We went to see the Frederick Keys (named for Francis Scott Key, who is buried in the cemetery across the street from the stadium) play against the Lynchburg Hillcats. This is the mascot, Keyote:



Leah doing the Chicken Dance:



A view of home plate:


I love it when there are three strikes:

A view of the field:



Instead of singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" for the seventh inning stretch, the Keys have you shake your keys while singing the "Shake Your Keys" song, so here I am shaking Leah's keys:



Yay--a Key hit a double!




And, finally, the man who sat next to us all game making comments (I am a magnet for these people). We called him "Willie" because he looked so much like Willie Nelson.



The next day, I went into DC to visit the National Gallery of Art. On the way, I walked past the Sackler, which is the gallery where I worked when I was an intern at the Smithsonian.



The Sackler is on one side of a large garden along with the famous Smithsonian Castle:



The gardens are really pretty and they replant them every season--I always like to walk through here not only because it is quiet, but also to see the creative things they do with the gardens.





I walked through the gardens and out to the Mall toward the National Gallery and passed this concession stand.


Check out the menu--they sell alcoholic beverages here. Some day I'd like to hang out here and see who comes away with a beer--parents with screaming children? Locals trying to wade through the tourists? Smithsonian employees?


Finally, I reached the National Gallery, where I spent a few hours wandering around looking at art--not a bad way to spend a Friday. This is the west building, where I started. I also went to the east building to see some of the works of art that were saved from the museum in Kabul.



Once I left the National Gallery, I went back through the Smithsonian gardens and stopped in this little area to call my grandmother from the bench on the left. This is just outside of the Sackler, but it is kind of hidden, so it is a quiet and cool place to take a break.



As I made my way back to the Metro, I stopped at the USDA Farmer's Market where I bought peaches, focaccia bread, and some lunch before I got on the train to head back to Frederick.



On Saturday evening, we went to a summer concert at Tarara Winery because they had an '80s tribute band called The Reflex playing. Here is The Reflex performing on the stage--you can see the Potomac behind them.



A view of the Potomac from where we were sitting:



A sign next to the river:



We brought food (the bread is from the farmer's market) and bought a bottle of Tarara's chilled red, which is fabulous:


Once everyone (including the band) started drinking, things got a lot more fun. The lead male singer was awful until he had a few drinks. Unfortunately, he butchered "Billie Jean" early in the evening. Later, though, we all got to "Walk Like An Egyptian":





Brother of Ken and I used to do this dance as kids--we were very good at it.



I even braved the crowd of dancers near the stage to bring you another installment of "Where is Ken?"
Well, that's it, gentle readers. Now I'm back in New York and back to my regular life...for a little while at least.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I love that my employer is graced so well in your Farmer's Market picture. If only we were able to have free rations from said USDA Farmer's Market. That would be awesome.

Leah said...

Yeah, get the USDA to have one up here too. That foccacia was awesome.
Those of you who know Keyote will be happy to hear that no one had their shoes stolen during this game; I also did not have to kick him in the nose this time.

Rosie Hawthorne said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip.
I live vicariously through other people's trips.