Sunday, June 7, 2009

I'm Alright

I apologize for not posting anything for a while, but I assure you that I'm alright. I am currently slogging through roughly 3,762 interlibrary loan books for my dissertation, but I thought I'd show you what I did this week besides read.


Last Sunday, I cooked a pork shoulder in my Crock Pot for about nine hours--here's what it looked like when it went in. This one was just under seven pounds:

Nine hours later, I started shredding the meat, which was falling off the bone.

I will be eating pork shoulder for the next year, I think. This is my bowl of shredded pork, which I froze in small packages. I also had a container of scraps for McKenna, but I found out quickly that pork shoulder does not agree with her. It was like living with a skunk.


With my shredded pork, I made several barbecued pork sandwiches this week--here is one dinner with a barbecued pork sandwich, steamed fingerling potatoes (purchased at the Farmer's Market) and aioli and fresh corn on the cob:




I also made The World's Largest Loaf of Brioche this week, which I clearly should have divided into two bread pans. I was using Ina Garten's recipe for mini brioche rolls, but making a loaf. Obviously, the complete recipe makes about two loaves.





It was so good...





A huge breakfast to get me ready for a day of reading--brioche toast, bacon, cantaloupe, and homemade strawberry jam.




Also this week, Kenna did a lot of running around in the yard...





...and a lot of sleeping.



She attacked another one of her toys:



I went to the Farmer's Market yesterday morning and got a giant loaf of Bavarian country bread (what is it with me and the bread this week?), some local wildflower honey, and my first batch of local strawberries of the season from the Amish:




Saturday's lunch was slices of Bavarian country bread with herb butter (chives and parsley from my garden), Welsh cheddar cheese, carrots, and fresh strawberries.




And that, gentle readers, was my exciting week. I've got some good stuff coming up, though--great recipes for deviled egg tomato aspic and "Jell-O Surprise." You won't want to miss this.

2 comments:

Leah said...

The term "Jell-o Surprise" frightens me. What's the surprise?

And you only posted the reassuring first paragraph so you'd have an excuse to use a Kenny Loggins song as the title, didn't you?

Ken said...

Yes ;-)