Monday, January 11, 2010

Reminiscing: 500 Delicious Dishes from Leftovers

Ever wonder what to do with that leftover jelly? A hunk of leftover ham? Some old bread? Those last few hot dogs? If so, this is the book for you: 500 Delicious Dishes from Leftovers. The hockey puck biscuits and stuffed peppers topped with what appears to be snot but is probably cheese are sure to draw you in.

Let's start this party off with some liver loaf--you can either make gravy or decorate the top with strips of bacon. The black and white photography really helps this food look more delectable, doesn't it?


For my friend Leah, who loves "spheres" of any kind--"Fried Spinach Balls" and "Mashed Potato Balls":


This sausage and corn casserole is "effective" according to the writers of this cookbook. I'll leave it to you to decide exactly how it is "effective."


There's nothing I love more than creamed chicken in a molded rice or noodle ring--doesn't this look appetizing? The chicken croquettes on the bottom of the left page look suspiciously like Fraggles.


I believe that this color photograph speaks for itself:

Mmmmmm...fish mold! Tuna turnovers! Baked bean croquettes! The caption next to the photograph on the right hand page says: "Served with green beans these carrot croquettes with parsley tops are very nearly real." Am I the only one that doesn't get this? Real how?


I sure hope I get an "Old Lady Cake" for my next birthday. Perhaps I will also request an appetizer of sour cream potato salad served on cold cuts.


How about some "Prune Whip Pie" as pictured on the bottom left? There is also a recipe for something called "Grapefruit Pie," the flavor of which I cannot imagine.


As though the photograph at the bottom left isn't bad enough, the possibilities of what it could be are worse. "Grilled Tongue and Egg Sandwiches"? "Ham Butter" spread on some bread? "Liver and Bacon Sandwiches"?


This is a photograph of a "thick dessert sauce" served in a pudding ring. In case you can't wait for more cookbooks written by the people who brought you 500 Delicious Dishes from Leftovers, there is a list of many more and I happen to have some of them ;-)


Thanks to Sue for helping to provide more blog fodder--I'm not sure if I should be worried that she gave me this cookbook and it was one of the ones that I recently purchased. I guess it was really popular with people who have died and had their belongings sold. You can never have too much advice about what to do with your leftover tongue...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are welcome, it was passed done to me by my mother who could make any food into wallpaper paste or hockey pucks!

Leah said...

Why? Why, why, why would someone do that to bacon? I have eaten bacon in a lot of ways - wrapped around bits of Bambi, incorporated into different kinds of cupcakes, even as a part of a chocolate bar. But I think liver and bacon sandwiches might be one of the worst things I've ever heard.

Also, "spheres." Heh.